Once you have your Philosophy: Apply it



Anyway the previous post was meant to serve as my little philosophical moment to remind myself what my purpose is before I attempt this new challenge of mine.

Disclaimer: Stereotypes can be very dangerous presumptions about a certain group of people that can have negative affects on a person's emotional, mental and physical health when used to prejudge. Please do not assume anyone is a certain way just because of their initial appearance. With that said; stereotypes can be immensely funny, when they involve a hint of truth grossly exaggerated. Read on:

I was sitting contemplating what my friend had recently divulged to me. He said, "Coco, I am Asian, and being Asian I study everyday in the library for like 12 hours. I am basically there from 9am to 12am just reading."
" Concerned with his math I asked "Fan, you are aware that that’s 15 hours right?"
"Well," he said, "I do leave to take food breaks when I need to eat."
"Oh right," I said. At this point I had forgotten he was Asian, not a robot, therefore he does need food. Chinese food perhaps, but food non-the-less.


What does this have to do with anything? Well , as you can see by the former rhetorical question, I am about to tell you. Apparently in the most drawn-out way possible, if I can help it.  The illustration, or indeed "true" story above, inspired me. I thought to myself, self: I have far too much work and far too little time. And furthermore is it even humanly possible to spend that many hours in a library? Well I, unlike my Asian friend have a life and therefore have no stretch of free time that is 17, or even 12 hours long. However, I do have times in my life where I am not in class, at work or driving and I tend to spend the majority of this time not doing my homework.

BUT, what if I followed in my Asian friend's footsteps? What if for 1 week, every bit of spare time, that wasn't already assigned to a regular schedule (ie: at least 6 hours sleep, work, classes, church and Bible study), was spent in the library? Would I get all my homework done? Would I need a stronger prescription of glasses? Would I fall asleep? Would I meet a lot of Asians, or perhaps become indistinguishable from one? Perhaps I would even break the stereotype that Asians are the hardest studiers. Ok, don't dream too far.

So I decided to accept this challenge. This week I will spend all free time in the library, however I may break this by studying in a coffee shop, provided it is a coffee shop where there are many Asians and my time there is spent studying. I figure if the majority of people there are studious Asians, then it is by default now a library. I actually know a few places like that near my home.

So this week my faithful followers (aka: no one so far) I will attempt this challenge. We will see if by next Thursday I have successfully competed it. To make it more clear here are the restrictions and expected results:

Example of Coffee Shops I will Attend
1. I must spend all free time in the library (any library, but probably it will end up being the Biola  library) or a coffee shop that is predominately Asian/studious people Aka: Asian
2. Free time shall be defined as : the hours in which I do not have previously scheduled responsibilities
  • Class (5-9 hours depending on the day)
  • Church/Chapel (3-4 hours)
  • Small Group/Bible Study (2 hours)
  • Sleep ( I usually go to bed around 1am and wake up around 8:30am)
  • Work ( I have three jobs, nuff said)
  • Possibly Eating (not mandatory for studious robots, though regular robots may partake)
  • Blogging my updates (limit 30 minutes/day)

3. Even though that seems like a lot of responsibilities I assure you I still manage to have enough free time each week for:
  • Parties
  • Watching SVU, Glee and Gossip Girl
  • Eating
  • Talking with my roommates about random life stuff
  • Jacuzzi trips
  • Eating out
  • Concerts
  • Light Painting
  • Singing songs in Chinese, Portuguese and Hindi

So you see I will be forgoing a lot of important things

Expected Results:
  • I expect to find out whether it is physically possible for one to spend all their spare time in the library , as my friend did, or whether they will have extreme side effects such as:
    • Brain turning into mush
    • Falling asleep, possibly never returning to full sane consciousness
    • Turning into a Robot
        If I do turn into a Robot I hope I will be cool like this one
    • Death by overachieving
    • Turning into a Socially Inept Zombie
    • Losing one's Soul (probably from turning into either a robot or socially inept zombie; of which the robot seems more appealing hmm)
Example of a "Socially Adept" Zombie
 "Socially Inept Zombie"
(Literally I typed "Socially Inept Zombie" into google images and Spock came up practically number one, really I am not surprised)



  • If it is physically possibly I hope:
    • I will complete most  or all of my assigned work (thus far a rather impossible thing)
    • I will no longer doubt my friend when he tells me he has been studying all day
    • I will have posted many updates on my blog
    • I will have become a better reader/writer, hopefully without losing eyesight
    • I will have inspired people everywhere to go to the library! (please read with sarcastic tone)
    • I will turn Asian (my deepest darkest dream) (please do not read with sarcastic tone)
    • Or I may become this: 


So yeah that’s the challenge, Let's see if by next Thursday I have survived

And if you find this challenge entertaining I am thinking of starting another blog in which I do nothing but accept challenges from people and attempt those challenges  then blog about the attempt. So check out the Link on this blog. I think I will call it "Weekly Challenger" since I will try to limit each challenge to a small measurable amount of time in the form of what we call a "week."


Comments

  1. Heyy! I will be your follower!! But only if you first explain to me what "Light Painting" is (because I'm picturing something along the lines of World of Color) and also how you are able to be "Singing songs in Chinese, Portuguese and Hindi" I read all your entries so far. Curses to those stupid middle school boys!!! You are a great writer! Sheesh! I like the idea of challenges! ...I hope you turn asian! I think I'd like to do that too...sooo if you do turn asian and you've found the recipe for doing so...you have to share it with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jenny, Thanks for followin' along. Light Painting is this really cool technique my excellent roommate Carsty learned in her photography class. It's basically where your subject poses in a completely dark room and you take an extended picture (meaning the camera captures the picture for about 30 seconds) and you shine a flash light on the subject. Only things the light touches will show up. It's super cool.

    They way I sing songs in those languages is by looking the song and its lyrics up online, then learning to pronounce the words by listening to the song.

    I totally will tell you how to turn Asian if I succeed. So far I am taking Mandarin lessons, attending a Chinese church, befriending lots of Asians, cooking and eating Asian food and if all goes well I plan to travel to China this summer! I love the Asian culture and people so much!As I know you do too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice start guys...I went through the website and I found that you made decent point here. Keep up the topic that everyone can choose one of the best. Thanks.
    regards
    driving lessons poole

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BTV Media Player Scam?

How to Eat Healthy For Noobs: Tips If You Never Tried a Healthy DietBefore and Don't Know Where to Start

The Matrix, Simulacra and Comedy?